Genomics Scholars Program (GSP)
The Genomics Scholars Program (GSP) helps community college students with a science focus transition to four-year colleges. The program stretches over approximately 15 months and includes:
- Two, 10-week summer research experiences (40 hours/week)
- One, 12-months semester research experience (10 hours/week)
- Mentoring by JCVI Faculty
- Access to JCVI’s state-of-the-art equipment and technology
- Internal seminars to increase scientific knowledge
- Professional development activities
- Attendance at one or more undergraduate research conferences
The GSP works with community colleges situated near JCVI’s Rockville, MD and La Jolla, CA campuses. JCVI does not provide or arrange housing for participants.
The GSP is small and highly selective. Please read the eligibility requirements carefully before applying.
Applicants must be:
- Age 18 or older
- Enrolled at a Maryland community college and be participating in the MTAP
- Enrolled at a California community college and be participating in the UC TAG, UniversityLink, or equivalent transfer program
- A life or biological science major
- A student with a minimum GPA of 2.7 on a 4.0 scale
- Committed to and eligible for 2 summer research experiences at JCVI, continuing during the adjoining academic year
GSP Fellows receive hourly compensation at the rate of $10.50/hour. All deductions required by federal and state law will be processed through payroll. JCVI will work with Fellows interested in internship credit, but students are responsible for obtaining any appropriate school departmental approvals to determine specific academic assignments.
Research reported in this publication was supported by the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases of the National Institutes of Health under award number R25DK098111.