Internship Frequently Asked Questions

Internship Frequently Asked Questions

You are here

Who is eligible for the program?

To be eligible for the program, you must be a full-time student or educator with proof of employment in the upcoming year. See additional eligibility requirements.

Do we allow students to co-op?

Yes, co-op students are welcome to apply. Please indicate the requirement of the program on the application.

Will I be eligible for the internship if my family is planning a vacation during the summer?

We prefer that the internship be a continuous commitment, but recognize this may not always be possible. Please be sure to note your availability on the application and discuss it during the interview. It is up to the mentors' discretion.

Does JCVI provide work visas?

No, JCVI does not provide work visas for the internship program. If you are an international student applying to the program you must already be eligible to work in the Unites States.

How will I be compensated?

Interns are compensated monetarily and/or through school credit. JCVI does not issue credit, but we will work with you to complete the necessary documentation.

Does JCVI provide housing?

No, JCVI does not provide or arrange housing. Information regarding temporary housing in the Washington, D.C. and San Diego metropolitan areas can be found at these web sites:

  • Craigslist (CA/MD)
  • listings (CA/MD)
  • Rooms for Rent (CA/MD)
  • Youth Hostels (CA/MD)

Maryland only

  • Washington Post Real Estate
  • Washington City Paper (shared housing or apartments)
  • WISH Housing (shared housing or apartments)

How can I find the cost of living?

Consider using the government per diem rates as a reference point.

Is there public transportation?

Is there parking?

There is ample parking at the Rockville, MD campus.

There is limited parking at the La Jolla, CA campus. Use of public transportation is advised.

Does the transcript need to be official? Can I submit a transcript from more than one school?

No, the transcripts are not required to be official. If you have only completed one semester at your current school, submit the transcripts from your previous school.

What do I do if I need special assistance, an accommodation, or have a problem applying through the on-line application?

Please contact or call (858) 200-1800 and ask to speak with our Human Resources Department.

Where do I apply?

All applicants must apply to open positions on-line through our Career Opportunities web page. See additional requirements here.